[Cython] preparing a release candidate, pending issues
Stefan Behnel
2014-09-05 19:39:08 UTC

current master looks good enough to plan for a release candidate next week.
There are only a couple of pending issues that I'm aware of that may or may
not get looked into for the release.

One thing is cygdb and its tests - are they working again? They seem to
work for me, but I don't know what the last status was there. Given how
long they must have been broken, it doesn't look all too critical, though.

This one should be resolved now:

"build failure on windows with 0.21b2 windows py27 x64"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/15424

This isn't, but the solution isn't currently obvious (and I think it can
wait until the first bugfix release if we can't find a fix in time):

"Buffer dtype mismatch error"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.user/11603

These are open, but don't feel like they should block the release:

"error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol PyInit_init"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/15392/focus=15415

"Memory leak with vector of memoryviews"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.user/11704/focus=11705

"how to have hashable extension types in pure python mode ? (__eq__ error)"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.user/11731/focus=11732

This isn't finished but is a new feature which can wait:

"Automatic conversion with fixed-size C arrays"
https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/308

This hasn't lead anywhere, apparently, but can wait as well:

"OpenMP thread private variable not recognized (bug report + discussion)"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/15382

So, nothing critical, but I might have forgotten something. If nothing else
comes up, I'll just wait a couple of more days and then start preparing RC
and final release.

Stefan
Andriy Kornatskyy
2014-09-06 04:43:33 UTC
Stefan,

Any update to the following?

"Compiler crash in RemoveUnreachableCode"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/15184

Thanks.

Andriy Kornatskyy
Hi,
Stefan Behnel
2014-09-06 05:35:17 UTC
Post by Andriy Kornatskyy
Any update to the following?
"Compiler crash in RemoveUnreachableCode"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/15184
Is that still as issue with the beta releases (or latest master)?

If so, then no, there's no update. I still have no idea what easy_install
does here and why the modules would get reinitialised. That part needs
debugging first.

Stefan
Andriy Kornatskyy
2014-09-06 06:01:27 UTC
Post by Stefan Behnel
Is that still as issue with the beta releases (or latest master)?
Yes, with the latest master.

Andriy
Robert Bradshaw
2014-09-06 18:02:15 UTC
Post by Stefan Behnel
Hi,
current master looks good enough to plan for a release candidate next week.
There are only a couple of pending issues that I'm aware of that may or may
not get looked into for the release.
One thing is cygdb and its tests - are they working again? They seem to
work for me, but I don't know what the last status was there. Given how
long they must have been broken, it doesn't look all too critical, though.
"build failure on windows with 0.21b2 windows py27 x64"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/15424
+1, though I don't have any ideas here.
Post by Stefan Behnel
This isn't, but the solution isn't currently obvious (and I think it can
"Buffer dtype mismatch error"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.user/11603
The only solution I can think of, short of fixing NumPy, is adding a
directive to not do the check.
Post by Stefan Behnel
"error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol PyInit_init"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.devel/15392/focus=15415
"Memory leak with vector of memoryviews"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.user/11704/focus=11705
"how to have hashable extension types in pure python mode ? (__eq__ error)"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.user/11731/focus=11732
Agreed.
Post by Stefan Behnel
"Automatic conversion with fixed-size C arrays"
https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/308
Yeah, this isn't done yet.
+1
Stefan Behnel
2014-09-07 07:14:20 UTC
Post by Robert Bradshaw
Post by Stefan Behnel
"Buffer dtype mismatch error"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.cython.user/11603
The only solution I can think of, short of fixing NumPy, is adding a
directive to not do the check.
Sounds good enough to me. Essentially, it gives users a way to work around
incorrect buffer implementations at their own risk (although there may not
be all that many complex buffer providers out there that would expose such
a problem...).

We should document the obvious drawbacks, though, i.e. no validation, all
crashes you get are entirely your own.

Stefan